Friday, November 23, 2012

from a couple weeks ago



The children are making progress. Some are just beginning to recognize and recall letter sounds. In the P1 and P2 class as well as the sponsored kids class, we have begun sounding out words. We have a long way to go but some seem to be starting to pick up on it. We are Bible storytelling in Pece Bible Club. Last Monday a young boy was able to tell me all about the story from the week before – complete with details!
Home is becoming more like home. The place where I am living is becoming more and more like home. It is nice. I now have a roommate. We met on the bus one day when she was just arriving in Gulu. She didn't have a place to stay yet and I was wanting a roommate. God must have arranged it. She came home with me from the bus and has been there since. She is from Denmark and works with the Red Cross. It has been great to have a friend in the house!
I have begun attending a local church I like so far. It is using the same building where I used to attend a different congregation in 2009. It's nearby – about a 15 minute walk from the house. Now there is a church headed by a Texan who talks about having faith and not just for the sake of material “blessings”. It is refreshing. There is a small to medium group of people who attend and are growing in faith.
I have developed a list of educational activities I have decided to make. While I am excited to use them in the class, they take a while to put together. Thankfully, I like craft time. I just need to find enough time to complete them.
A break from school is coming. Ugandan schools are set up in three terms. Final exams occur in November and kids start the next grade in February. My classes attached to the school will end. I am excited to be able to regroup my thoughts and prepare to have a full year with them. My other classes will continue but will have to change. There is no way to keep schooled kids from coming to unschooled kids class. It completely changes the dynamic. I would love to have the schooled tutor the unschooled but I don't think it would happen well. Perhaps I'll try it. I think I am either going to have to give out several activities at once to occupy all, or take a break from academics and do something else. Besides putting together educational materials, I think I will use this time to work on my language skills. I have heard of a couple tutors who may help.

No comments:

Post a Comment